Tuesday, February 7, 2012

If I plant two cleveland select pear(decorative trees) trees six feet apart. Will they fertilize , bear fruit?

I have two of those exact cultivars... Yes, they will get little "pears" that are a little less that 1/2" in diameter and inedible. A little bit messy, but nothing like decorative plums. Some birds seem to like them.



I would plant them a little farther than 6' apart, however, unless you want to do a lot of pruning or allow them to grow into one another. Although they are fairly upright, my trees have about a 12' to 14' spread.



Other than that, they are great trees - great flowers in the spring and red color in the fall and no root problems.



The other cultivar of Pyrus calleryana that we have I would also recommend.. it is called 'Dancer'. It has a more spherical shape, but the thing I like is the leaves - they are a little more shiney and a move a little more in the wind so they shimmer somewhat like a cottonwood in the breeze.
If I plant two cleveland select pear(decorative trees) trees six feet apart. Will they fertilize , bear fruit?
Yep....small fruit only. Grown more for early spring flowers. FYI...This variety seems to be more tolerant of freeze damage and limbs breaking from ice (vs other Bradford Pears), BUT seems to be BAD with FIRE BLIGHT (a bacterial disease) during WET, Warm WEATHER!

No comments:

Post a Comment